Crime Briefs

Council member pleads guilty to DUI

FARMINGTON—Layton City council member Scott Freitag was sentenced in Davis County Justice Court after pleading guilty to one count of driving under the influence.

In exchange for the plea, two other charges of carrying a dangerous weapon while under the influence of alcohol and drinking alcohol in a vehicle were dropped. Frietag was sentenced to three days in jail, 72 hours of community service, 12 months of supervised probation and he must pay a fine.

Centerville Police arrested Freitag Jan. 3 after an officer saw a car driving erratically. The officer pulled the vehicle over near Kaysville and administered a field sobriety test on Freitag. He was arrested after failing the test and according to police an open alcohol container and a handgun were found in the vehicle.

Freitag was director of Salt Lake City 911 and was fired from that position the next day. No action has been taken to remove him from his council seat. The city website shows Freitag’s city council term ends 2019. He took office in 2007.

Man charged with sexual abuse

CENTERVILLE—A Murray man who police said allegedly forced a Centerville woman to perform sex acts was charged in 2nd District Court.

James Matthew Cheshire, 30, was charged with three counts of forcible sodomy and four counts of forcible sexual abuse.

According to charging documents, Cheshire met the woman through the dating app Mutual. The two allegedly exchanged several texts and Cheshire said he was interested in sexual activity but the woman said she was not. Eventually the woman gave him her address and the pair met at her Centerville home. Cheshire allegedly started to kiss the woman and sexually assaulted her, charging documents state.

K9 stops suspect after chase

CLINTON—The Davis County Sheriff’s Office assisted Clinton police recently after a suspect was able to steal the arresting officer’s patrol car and lead officers on a high-speed chase.

The chase ended when a DCSO deputy performed a PIT maneuver and K9 Deputy Rony took the suspect into custody. K9 Rony is pictured on top of the Clinton Police car after the chase. No officers or the K9 were injured and the suspect was taken back into custody, according to a DCSO Facebook post.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.