Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Camp honors first LDS Primary
May 13, 2013 | 619 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print

FARMINGTON — Members of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers visited the rock chapel in Farmington last month to mark the 135th anniversary of the Primary Association of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The chapter was the Indian Trail Camp from Bountiful.

The Primary was organized in Farmington on Aug. 25, 1878, about 31 years after Hector Caleb Haight founded the city, according to Diane Mathews, a member of the camp. 

That same year, Lynn Fausett painted a mural of the first Primary in the rock chapel. That chapel was built in 1862 at a cost of $15,000. It’s still in use and the mural is in a prominent location.

Aurelia Spencer Rogers, who served as the first president of the Primary Association, wrote a history of the organization in her book, “Life Sketches, “ printed in 1898.

mwilliams@davisclipper.com

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of davisclipper.com
Follow us on: