BOUNTIFUL — Officials have determined that a fire in a detached garage in Bountiful Saturday night was electrical in nature and caused about $20,000 in damage.
The fire began about 6:30 p.m. at the residence in the 1300 South block of 200 West, said South Davis Metro Fire Chief Jim Rampton.
The lone occupant of the home, an older woman, was unaware of the fire until neighbors informed her of the fire.
Rampton believes recent weather conditions may have contributed to the fire. Storms and freezing temperatures, followed by thawing and refreezing, may have damaged a power line going into garage, he said.
No one had been in the garage in about a month. It had been used for storage, Rampton said.
No one was injured in the blaze. The house and garage were in close proximity and crews had to guard against the fire spreading to the house, Rampton said.