NORTH SALT LAKE — Fire officials are calling a blaze that happened in a business in a commercial area Wednesday night an accident.
“The business typically kept a lighted halogen lamp on the floor, and then they stacked blankets in the same room,” said South Davis Metro Fire Agency Chief Jim Rampton. “We believe the blankets fell over on the light, starting the fire.”
The Charity Anywhere Foundation, 645 N. Taylor Way, where the fire started, is one of five business occupying the building, Rampton said. The complex is in an industrial neighborhood.
No one was in any of the businesses at the time, and no injuries were reported. The initial call came from someone in a nearby business who saw the flames at about 9 p.m., Rampton said.
When firefighters arrived, they found heavy black smoke and flames shooting out of the front door of the charity.
Damage to the structure is estimated at $100,000. Businesses on either side of the charity suffered little damage, and should quickly be up and operational again, Rampton said.
Firefighters from Farmington and Salt Lake City also responded.