LAYTON – A smoke alarm saved a Layton family, including several small children from their burning home Wednesday afternoon.
Around 11:22 a.m. Wednesday, the Layton Fire Department received an emergency call of smoke coming from the Layton home located at 762 E. Aspen Drive. The fire department was able to respond quickly from its Fort Lane location, and quickly extinguished the fire.
Layton Fire spokesman Doug Bitton said one of the family members including five siblings alerted everyone inside when a smoke alarm went off. Initial indications were one of the family members, a five-year-old, was playing with a lighter.
There still isn’t a definitive cause as to how the fire started, however.
“There was smoke coming from the west side of the house,” Bitton said. “Everyone made it out safely and no injuries were reported from either the family nor any of the fire crew.”
Damages are currently reported at $150,000, but Bitton said the cost could be higher depending on further investigation.
The parents of the children living at the home were alerted and rushed to the scene, where Red Cross representatives were assessing what kind of assistance was needed.
Bitton reminded parents to keep matches and lighters away from young children.