LAYTON – An overheated boiler brought police and fire crews to Whitesides Elementary when smoke filled the building during an after school activity on Dec. 19.
School was cancelled for the rest of the week, giving an early start to winter recess for the elementary school students.
Approximately 30 students and 20 adults were at the school when the fire alarm sounded.
No one was injured and only the boiler was damaged, according to a press release from Davis School District.
Officials estimated it would take six to eight hours for the boiler to cool down before crews could determine the extent of the damage.
It is anticipated the boiler will need to be replaced.