Welcome to the training page for the Davis Clipper website. This page will walk you through all the basics on how to update and maintain the site, add new content, etc. If there are additional questions or topics you would like explained here please send requests to email@example.com.
Table of Contents
- Logging in and getting familiar with the WordPress dashboard
- Adding a new article
- Tagging and Categorizing articles
- Creating a thumbnail (featured image)
- Using the default category thumbnails and adding images to page
- Adding a classified ad
- Adding a calendar item?
- State and National news integration
- Adding advertisements (swapping out the placeholders)
- Sharing content with social media
1. Logging In and Getting Familiar with the WordPress dashboard
In the following tutorial I will show you how to login to the back end of the Davis Clipper WordPress site, and walk you through the dashboard options available to you.
- Go to the URL: www.ironcountytoday.com/wp-admin.
- Type in username and password
- You will be redirected to the Dashboard page.
Note: If you are already logged in (b/c your login was saved or you’ve logged in recently) then the dashboard will show on the upper ribbon of each individual web page on the website.
2. Adding a new page
In the following tutorial I will walk you through the entire process of how to add a new article, including tagging, categorizing, and attaching a featured image.
3. Tagging and Categorizing articles
When you create a new article it is important to categorize it so that it shows up in the right section of the website, and tag it so that readers can find it when they are searching (googling) online.
4. Creating a thumbnail (featured image)
This tutorial shows you how to create the correct size thumbnail (using either Photoshop or a free online tool) to use for a featured image (basically any image you want to use on the website). They will all be landscape (horizontal) and 1200 pixels by 800 pixels.
5. Using the default category thumbnails and adding images to page
6. Adding a classified ad
7. Adding a calendar item?
8. State and National news integration
9. Adding advertisements (swapping out the placeholders)
There are two places in the dashboard where you can ad advertisements: 1) under “theme options” and then “banner ads”, and 2) in “appearance” in the “widget” area.