The U.S. Department of Justice has developed an acronym to help people reduce or minimize the risk of becoming a victim of identity theft or fraud. Just remember the word “SCAM”:
S Be stingy about giving out your personal information to others unless you have a reason to trust them, regardless of where you are (at home or abroad).
C Check your financial information regularly, and look for what transactions should be there and what transactions shouldn’t.
A Ask periodically for a copy of your credit report.
M Maintain careful records of your banking and financial accounts.
For more information on protecting yourself from fraud and scam, visit the following web sites:
• U.S. Department of Justice: http://www.usdoj. gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html
• Better Business Bureau: http://bbb.org
• Utah Better Business Bureau: www.utah.bbb.org
• Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI): www.fbi.gov
• Utah Federal Bureau of Investigation: http://saltlakecity.fbi.gov/ fraud.htm
• Federal Trade Commission Consumer Sentinel: http://www.ftc.gov/ sentinel/