Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Man tries to save dog in fire, suffers from smoke inhalation
Jan 14, 2013 | 1591 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print

WEST BOUNTIFUL — Fire crews will be back Monday at the scene of a house fire that happened Sunday night at about 10:30 p.m. on 700 West and about 1800 North. The home's single occupant was transported to the hospital with smoke inhalation.

The fire started in the basement of a split-entry home, South Davis Metro Fire Agency Chief Jim Rampton said. On the first level, the fire crept between the floors and walls on the exterior of the house, making it difficult for firefighters to get to.

"It took us quite a while to get it under control," Rampton said.

Firefighters also battled freezing temperatures and icy conditions.

"It takes more people to fight a fire in the cold," Rampton said. "After firefighters have been inside a nice, warm environment and come out into below freezing conditions, they're all sweaty and it takes longer to rehab them before they go back in."

Another concern was that as soon as water from the hoses hit the ground, it froze. Rampton said that presents a special problem around the fire truck, where water is spraying everywhere.

The West Bountiful public works department brought in salt to place around the truck.

The home's occupant may have gone back into the house to rescue the dog, leading to worse smoke inhalation for the man, Rampton said. The dog died in the fire.

The home sustained between $50,000 and $60,000 in damage, he said. Because of overnight temperatures, water pipes in the home may also have broken.

"It's going to be a while before they get back in," Rampton said.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of
Follow us on: