The Davis Clipper, as we know it today, grew out of a small newspaper which begun in 1891. Lamoni Call, a young man who operated a watch repair service, bicycle shop and jewelry store, conceived an idea for a small monthly publication and “The Little Clipper” was born.
In February of 1892, John Stahle, Sr. bought in as a partner for $475, the amount necessary to purchase a new press. A month later the name was changed to “Davis County Clipper.” Stahle was designated editor, and Lamoni Call, manager. Within 3 years, the partnership was mutually dissolved and since that time the Clipper has been under the management of the Stahle family. Gail Stahle, a grandson, now operates the business.
The Clipper was started in the basement of Lamoni Call’s shop, which was located at about 170 S. Main Street in Bountiful near where the former Bountiful Lumber store building is located. In 1894, a new building was constructed on the southeast corner of 300 North and Main Street, and then finally a new building was built in 1906 on the northwest corner of 100 South and Main Street. The Clipper business remained here until about 1989, when John Stahle Jr. died and Gail took over the business. The Clipper moved to its current location at 1370 South 500 West in 1990.
The Clipper corner has been replaced with the Bun Basket, Whisperwood & Co., Madeleine L’Amour, Lee’s Barber Shop (still near the same location as Sessions Barber Shop for nearly 150 years), the U.S. Post Office. Across the street is the new Zions Bank building. Yes, still a bank on that corner since 1906 Й some things never change.