FARMINGTON — Members of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers visited the rock chapel in Farmington last month to mark the 135th anniversary of the Primary Association of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The chapter was the Indian Trail Camp from Bountiful.
The Primary was organized in Farmington on Aug. 25, 1878, about 31 years after Hector Caleb Haight founded the city, according to Diane Mathews, a member of the camp.
That same year, Lynn Fausett painted a mural of the first Primary in the rock chapel. That chapel was built in 1862 at a cost of $15,000. It’s still in use and the mural is in a prominent location.
Aurelia Spencer Rogers, who served as the first president of the Primary Association, wrote a history of the organization in her book, “Life Sketches, “ printed in 1898.