SYRACUSE — The toddler who was taken to Primary Children’s Medical Center after a dresser and TV fell on her is healing from the injury.
Paramedics who worked on the 3-year-old told Syracuse Fire Chief Eric Frorer she was doing much better.
“The information I heard is from a third party,” he said. “The hospital isn’t releasing any information to us. I went to the family’s home yesterday to find out her condition and no one was home.”
The dresser and large tube television fell on a 3-year-old Syracuse toddler on Monday, June 10.
Initially, it was reported the girl went in and out of consciousness.
“There was significant, critical injuries at the time of the accident,” Froerer said. “
The TV, described as an older style, was much heavier than new flat-screen models.
Froerer did not know if the child pulled the furniture down, or if there was some other cause for the accident. At least one parent and some siblings were home at the time.
“It’s a sad deal,” Froerer said. “Parents in general try to keep a safe household, but sometimes you don’t realize something is hazardous until something happens.”
He urged people to assess their homes for hazards. Even people without children should be aware of things that may be dangerous to children in case they visit.
“It was just a tragic accident,” the chief said.