By Carol Hurst
What would Halloween be without this sticky, tasty treat.
• 4 qts of popped popcorn (you can use plain microwave popcorn= 1.3 bags)
• 1 cup of shelled peanuts (preferably redskins, with the red outer skin on them)
• ½ stick of butter (can be salted or unsalted), melted
• 1 cup of lightly packed light brown sugar
• ½ cup of light corn syrup
• 2 tbl molasses
• ¼ tsp salt (I use fine ground sea salt)
• baking spray
Preheat oven to 250 degrees and spray two baking sheets with baking spray (or line with parchment). Set aside.
Mix the popped corn and peanuts in a large bowl. Take all of the remaining ingredients and place them in a saucepan on medium heat. Heat/stir for approximately 3-5 minutes, until it’s boiling and frothy, and a cooking thermometer (I use a digital stick thermometer) comes to 250 degrees. Pour a thin stream of the caramel syrup over the bowl of popcorn and nuts while stirring the popcorn with a silicon spatula or buttered spoon until all incorporated. Be careful, it will be hot and sticky.
Pour the covered popcorn/peanuts on to two baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning with the spatula several times while baking- this ensures that the caramel melts in to the popcorn crevices.
Remove the pans from the oven and let cool. Serve.
While I find it doubtful that you will have any left over, if you do…you will want to store it in an airtight container. Enjoy!!
• Pinterest pinterest.com/oldtownspices
• Facebook facebook.com/oldtownspices
• YouTube www.youtube.com/oldtownspice