However, officials believe the problem should be solved by about Friday noon.
SDMFA crews got the call at 2:48 p.m. Thursday, that as one of the tanks containing waxy crude oil was being heated, some steam was released into it, causing the tank to overpressurize, Bassett said. That caused the safety lid to blow, spewing insulation into the neighborhood to the east of the refinery.
It also released steam into the air that smelled like wax burning, a smell that lingered throughout the night and into Friday.
"There was no fire," said South Davis Metro Fire Agency Chief Jeff Bassett, but the steam that was released left an acrid smell that residents complained about.
Friday morning, crews were working to cool the tank, according to Woods Cross City Manager Gary Uresk. He said that as the tank cools, the steam will lessen and is expected to stop by about noon.
"As the wind shifted, it caused the steam to blow into neighborhoods," Uresk said. "I understand there's nothing toxic in it. It's more of an odor problem, but it could give people a headache if they got a strong whiff," Uresk said early Monday morning.
Bassett said crews from the refinery monitored neighborhoods throughout the night to make sure there was no carbon monoxide or other toxins released. The Davis County Health Department and Department of Environmental Quality were also on scene Friday morning.
Both the fire department and Woods Cross City received numerous calls concerning the smell Thursday and Friday.
The refinery has replaced numerous tanks since a 2009 explosion damage the refinery and many homes in surrounding subdivisions. Uresk said Silver Eagle General Manager Jerry Lockie told him the tank was one earmarked for replacement.
The Clipper has a call into Silver Eagle and will provide updates as they become available.