SYRACUSE — Residents of Syracuse have a big community celebration to look forward to before Independence Day.
That’s the annual Heritage Days celebration, which begins Monday, June 23 with a golf tournament, and a lot more throughout next week.
The community celebration is coordinated by the recreation department, but is funded almost entirely by private donations. That means city funds aren’t tapped to pay for the event,
Here’s a schedule of events:
• Monday, June 23: Golf tournament at Glen Eagle Golf Course, For more information and to register call Jeff Summerhays at 801-773-4653.
• Tuesday, June 24: The annual senior citizen appreciation luncheon is at noon at the community center. It’s open to those age 60 and above. There will be lunch, musical entertainment and the ever-popular bingo. RSVP to the community center at 801-614-9660, Ext. 1.
It’s also the day to enjoy an outing with the family to the ball game. There will be a minor league game at 4 p.m. and a major league game at 6 p.m. Food will be available for purchase.
• Wednesday, June 25 is the chalk art festival kickoff, 5 p.m. at Founders Park. Entry fee of $5 includes a box of chalk and an assigned concrete square. All skill levels are encouraged to come and create their own sidewalk masterpiece. Pre-register by Friday, June 20 at the community center or online at syracuserecreation.com. All chalk art must be completed by Thursday, June 26. Awards will be presented after the Syracuse’s Got Talent competition.
• The Children’s Night and Parade also takes place, 7-9 p.m. at Centennial Park. Bring the kids dressed as their favorite superhero or create your own superhero. Parade line-up begins at 6:30 p.m. Concessions, blow-up rides, face painting, children’s game and train, and much more to be offered.
• Thursday, June 26 the carnival rides operate, 4-11 p.m. at Founders Park. Tickets can be purchased at the recreation department for $18 if purchased by Friday, June 20. They can be used for an “All-Day Unlimited Ride” wristband, good only on Thursday, or you can receive 40 tickets to use for rides only, any time the carnival is open.
The annual Syracuse’s Got Talent competition starts at 7 p.m. at Founders Park. Enjoy local talent and cast your vote for the top three contestants to move on to perform in the finals held on Saturday at 7 p.m.
• Friday, June 27 will see the carnival and booths open, 5-11 p.m.
Family Fun Night starts at 7 p.m. at Founders Park. There will be a magic show and family movie at dusk. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets.
• Saturday, June 28 features a 5K run and walk, 7 a.m. starting and ending at the community center.
A pancake breakfast goes 7:30-9:30 a.m. at the community center. Cost is $3 per person or $20 per family, up to eight family members.
The parade starts at 10 a.m. on 2000 West between the 2700 South round-about and will proceed north to Syracuse High School.
The carnival opens at 11 a.m. and concludes at 11 p.m. and booths open at 11 and go until 9 p.m.
Live entertainment goes from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Founders Park. Syracuse’s Got Talent finals will begin at 7 p.m.
The jackpot rodeo is at 1 p.m. at the equestrian park, 3100 S. 2400 West.
Pre-fireworks entertainment will start at 7 p.m. It’s sponsored by the Syracuse Arts Council.
The fireworks cap the week of events and start at dusk.