This grilled salad is delicious for any occasion. The prep can be done ahead of time, and everything is cooked on the grill, which makes things extra easy. The grilling brings out the sweetness of the veggies, and you can even make it without the chicken as a vegetarian meal. There are so many options for variety in this recipe- be creative and add your own flair!
For the marinade/dressing:
• 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 medium lemons)
• 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or dry white wine)
• 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbl dried oregano (leaves, not ground)
• 1 tbl thyme leaves (not ground)
• ¼ tsp sugar
• ½ tsp onion powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad:
• Olive oil, for coating the grill grates
• 1 pkg cherry tomatoes
• 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
• 1 medium red onion, peeled, and cut into wedges
• Salt and Ground black pepper
• 6 (8-inch) wooden or metal skewers
• 3 medium hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise through the core
• 20 kalamata olives or other Greek olives
• 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts (optional)
• 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can substitute 4 thighs) cut in to quarter-sized cubes
1. Pre-heat and oil grill (rub the grates with a towel dipped in olive or vegetable oil.)
2. Combine the tomatoes, red onion sections and chicken in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup of the marinade and gently toss to coat. Reserve the remaining marinade.
3. Thread skewer ingredients, alternating 1 tomato, 1 onion wedge, 1 olive, 1 piece of chicken onto a skewer (and optional artichoke hearts), repeat as will fit on skewer. Repeat to make 6 skewers. Place the skewers in a large, shallow dish, pour any marinade in the bowl over the skewers, cover, and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and up to 12 hours.
4. Remove the skewers from the dish, allowing any excess marinade to drip away before placing them on the grill. Cover the grill and cook, turning the skewers every 2 minutes, until the vegetables and chicken are tender and slightly charred, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
5. About 3 minutes before the skewers are finished, brush the romaine with olive oil, season it with salt and pepper, and place it cut-side down on the grill. Cook until slightly wilted and charred on the cut side, about 3 minutes.
6. To serve, transfer the grilled romaine and kebabs,(if using) to a large serving platter. Either place the kebabs alongside/atop the lettuce or pull from the sticks and place the chicken and veggies on top. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining marinade over the salad, along with sprinkling on the feta cheese. Serve any leftover marinade on the side.
7. Optional: I like to also serve with a small dish of hummus and crackers on the side. Also, once cooked, you can chop the lettuce and kebab pieces and mix all together before serving.
• Pinterest pinterest.com/oldtownspices
• Facebook facebook.com/oldtownspices
• YouTube www.youtube.com/oldtownspice (Watch Carol prepare her recipes)