Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Man injured in kitchen blaze
by MELINDA WILLIAMS
Aug 15, 2014 | 839 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
LAYTON —A 27-year-old man suffered burns to his hands in a kitchen fire Thursday night when he fell asleep while cooking and awoke to find flames and smoke coming from the pan.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 423 N. Owens Street about 10:20 p.m. They were able to quickly contain the fire to the sink and a corner of the kitchen, according to Layton City Fire Public Information Officer Doug Bitton.

The man was the only one at home at the time of the fire. He told investigators he was cooking with grease when he fell asleep and woke to find the pan on fire, Bitton said.

Investigators say it appears the man grabbed the burning pan and took it to the sink where he doused it with water.

“It is really important for the for public to understand two things; first that never cook when you are sleepy you must be constantly attending your cooking process, second never ever place water on a grease fire the results could be devastating to you and the surrounding area,” Bitton said.

He recommends while cooking on a stovetop to always have a lid nearby that can smother a small grease fire. He also recommends having a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

Bitton did not know the severity of the man’s injuries, but he was taken to the University of Utah Burn Center.

Estimated damage to the home is $8,000. 



Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of davisclipper.com
Follow us on: